There are many reasons to have your ducts cleaned, but how often? There are many factors that determine the frequency of duct cleaning. For instance, if you run your heating and cooling system more often, the air that is circulated through the system and the ducts can collect dust, pollen, and pet fur and dander. The less you use your system, that dirt; dust, etc just stays in the rooms it has settled in. Be aware that if you do not run your system often enough, the air is not being filtered properly.
Allergies can play a big part in how often you get your duct system cleaned. If someone in your household has allergies, removing dirt and dust can help to alleviate allergy symptoms. Cleaning the duct system and changing your filter more frequently can be an effective way to help allergy sufferers.
Pet fur and dander can settle in your ductwork or even clog furnace filters. Pets shed fur and dander that falls on the floor. It can then be drawn back through your system by the cold air returns or even land in your hot air supply vents. The fur and dander that sit in the return air ducts can get recirculated into your home or drawn back to your furnace. If it settles in your hot air vents it can be blown back into your home when your system is running.
Below you will find a check- list of reasons for having your duct system cleaned. Don’t forget to have the furnace tune-up as well because some dust, hair and other debris can get past your filter and into your furnace.
- Renovation: If your home has been remodeled – especially if there was asbestos abatement, lead paint removal, or significant dust – your ductwork should be cleaned.
- Animals: Animal infestation or nesting in your ducts or HVAC system, First of all, have the animals removed, and then have the ductwork cleaned. A furnace tune-up is also recommended.
- Mold: Enough said. Any evidence of mold in your ducting system and the ducts should be cleaned.
- Contaminants: If pet hair, debris, odors, etc are in your ductwork, a cleaning is recommended.
- Illness: If someone in your family is suffering from allergies, you should consider having your ducts cleaned.
We recommend having your duct system cleaned every 2-5 years depending on the factors above. Call Langton ClimateCare for your next duct cleaning service. Our technician is NADCA certified.