The rising cost of living seems to eat up more and more of our paychecks in the Greater Hamilton Area. It seems now, more than ever, we are looking for ways to save a few bucks. Some may already be using options like; carpooling and price matching at the grocery store for example, but what about ways to save on energy around the home? You may already be trying to make sure you shut off lights as you leave the room, turning off electronics when not in use and replacing old incandescent light bulbs with CFL or LED bulbs. Here is some other energy saving tips for your home in Hamilton.
- Turn down the thermostat. By turning down the temperature only 2 degrees while at home and wearing a sweater while watching television or putting an extra blanket on the bed instead, you will reduce your heating costs. Programming your thermostat to lower the temperature while at work is another great energy saving tip.
- Regular furnace maintenance including a yearly tune-up, will result in better furnace efficiency. Make sure your furnace filter is cleaned or changed regularly. A dirty filter will reduce furnace efficiency and cost you more money to heat your home.
- Weatherproof your home. Make sure you have enough insulation and check the caulking around windows for any cracks. A drafty home is not only uncomfortable at times; it uses more energy to heat.
- Dry two or more loads of laundry in a row to take advantage of an already warm dryer and make sure you clean the lint trap before every load. A clogged lint trap can increase energy usage and is also a fire hazard.
- Running your washing machine, dryer and dishwasher during off-peak hours if you have different usage rates for time of day will reduce energy costs.
Following these 5 simple tips can save you hundreds of dollars on energy in Hamilton every year.
Langton ClimateCare has been helping Hamiltonians with their heating and cooling needs for over 20 years.